Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yucky, earth-unfriendly foods to avoid

I am so taken with this list of the "10 Most Dangerous Foods" on Sprig.com, because when I clicked on the title I was expecting to something like the EWG's "dirty dozen," which, while a useful list, has been written/referenced/blogged about everywhere (by me too, more than once) for ages. But this feature actually takes a stand on some stuff in a way that "green lite" websites and magazines rarely seem to, and offers some new-to-me info too. For instance, growers of conventional strawberries are rumored to spray their crops with Nutrasweet-laced water to increase the fruit's sweetness. That is just gnarly with a capital G! I nearly always buy organic strawberries as it is, but now I will be even more vigilant with my berry picking.

No comments: